Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
San Diego State University (SDSU) is committed to ensuring the humane care and use of all vertebrate animals associated with its research and teaching programs. Federal and state, laws and policies such as the federal Animal Welfare Act, regulate the use of animals in teaching and research. The IACUC is housed within Research Support Services. The Vice President for Research is the "Institutional Official" responsible for the program. The program assists the institution and research community in complying with its federal assurance and various policies for the use of vertebrate animals in research and teaching.
SDSU’s IACUC ensures that all research, testing or educational instruction involving animals is conducted in a humane manner using the fewest number of animals possible to obtain valid results.
Are you an SDSU Researcher who needs to...
Submit or Amend your protocol
View Personnel Training
View all Correspondence and Notifications with the IACUC
View Progress of Submissions
You can do this all in one place now! Click below to Start
First time users with an SDSU email do not need to request a new account
Meeting the Requirements of the Animal Welfare Act
- Overview of the Animal Welfare Act and AWIC
- Define the 3Rs Alternatives
- Databases and Non-Database Resources
- Search Strategies and Live Demonstration
- Associate the PHS Policy with your institution.
- Name the office responsible for administering and coordinating the PHS Policy
- Identify federal funding agencies that comply with the PHS Policy.
- Reflect on key elements of the PHS Policy and how they relate to alternatives to animals and 3Rs.
- Name the resources that feed the PHS Policy standards and recognize the requirements they have for alternatives to animals and the 3Rs.
The IACUC reviews and, if warranted, investigates concerns involving the care and use of animals resulting from reports of noncompliance reported by research and facility personnel or by public complaints. Concerns regarding animal care and use may be made anonymously.
The IACUC encourages prompt (within 24 hours) reporting of concerns related to animal welfare. Allegations should be detailed and specific, and be accompanied by supporting documentation when possible, to allow for a thorough investigation. All reported concerns are reviewed regardless of how they are received.
Report by Telephone: (619) 594-0905
Report in Person: Contact the Assistant Director of RSS Natalie Gude, Gateway Center Room 3519A, email: [email protected].
Report Online: Click here to submit an Anonymous Incident Report.
Non-Retaliation: San Diego State University prohibits any retaliatory action against individuals who, in good faith, makes a call or written report regarding compliance, or cooperates with an investigation or corrective action.