Albert W. Johnson University Research Lecture
The Albert W. Johnson University Research Lectureship is awarded annually to an SDSU faculty member for outstanding achievement in research and scholarship. Its purpose is to recognize such achievement, foster its continuation, and enable a distinguished resident faculty scholar to share his/her knowledge more broadly with and beyond the academic community.
The recipient receives a $10,000 contribution to support their research.
The Albert W. Johnson University Research Lecture series is sponsored by the Division of Research and Innovation and the University Research Council. The Lectureship is the University’s highest recognition of research and scholarly achievement. The recipient delivers a public lecture during the spring semester and is named a Distinguished Professor in his/her discipline.
Selection of the Albert W. Johnson University Research Lecturer is based on evidence
of distinction and recognized achievement in research and scholarship.
Nomination and Application Process
- A call for nominations is made during the fall semester of each year.
- Eligibility for the Lectureship is restricted to SDSU faculty holding a full-time, tenure-track position at the time of nomination.
- Nominations, limited to three pages, will relate the most notable contributions of the nominee and the significance of his/her work and be accompanied by a curriculum vitae. Persons making nominations are asked to contact the nominee to ascertain his/her willingness to accept the lectureship should it be offered
- Letters of nomination are forwarded to the Division of Research and Innovation via the Dean of the college in which the individual holds primary appointment. Persons nominated in previous years, but not selected, may be renominated.
- The committee will review nominations and forward its recommendations to the Vice President for Research for final determination of the Johnson Lecturer.
- Please fill out and include this cover letter with final submissions.
- October 4, 2021 - Call for nominations
- October 27, 2021 - Deadline for submission of nominations from Departments to College Dean
- November 8, 2021 - Nominations from College Deans sent to the Division of Research & Innovation
- Week of November 15, 2021 - Committee on Research Grants and Lectureships
- Late November/Early December 2021 - Announcement of selection of AWJ Research Lecturer
Email Interim Associate Vice President for Research Operations Mark B. Reed with questions.