Making Science Happen. For People. Through People.
The Research Advancement Division, under the guidance of the VP for Research, is responsible for supporting and furthering the academic mission of SDSU, in particular, its sponsored research, community service, and education goals. The Division assists SDSU faculty and Deans in devising strategies to advance and expand SDSU’s research endeavor; develop cooperative multidisciplinary, multi-institutional partnership programs; provide program management for a diverse portfolio of sponsored programs; and protect and commercialize the intellectual property of SDSU faculty and staff.
The mission of Research Advancement is to provide services, support, and innovation that builds the research portfolio and scholarly reputation of the institution and facilitates the transition of creative results into the public domain. Specific Research Advancement program focus areas include:
- Advocates for Faculty: Devising novel marketing and information strategies to develop new funding sources
- Capacity Building: Providing support and innovative services to build successful independent researchers
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: Promoting entrepreneurial programs for technology innovations and commercialization
- Cooperative Partnerships: Facilitating development of new programs and relationships among academic, industry, and government organizations, leveraging SDSU faculty expertise
- Federal Research Agenda: Devising effective mechanisms that members of Congress and federal agency officials can use to engage SDSU faculty in addressing national priorities
- Intellectual Property: Protecting SDSU faculty researcher inventions and creative works, and promoting their transition through license agreements to existing and new start-ups.